Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."


Opening Prayer

Lord,
with your loving care
guide the penance we have begun.

Help us to persevere with love and sincerity.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


A Friday of Lent and an introduction to "True Fasting"

We are still in the first four days of Lent.

Today and tomorrow we read the 58th Chapter

of the book of the prophet Isaiah.


These powerful words have such a contemporary message.


True fasting will lead us to act justly and caring

for those who are most in need.

On every Friday of Lent we abstain from meat
as a sign of our common penance.


It represents our efforts to abstain from
- do without - so many other patterns
that get in the way of our happiness and wholeness.

Intercessions

Let us pray to Christ our Savior, who redeemed us by his death and resurrection:
Lord, have mercy on us.

You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,
- bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.


You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier's lance,
- heal our wounds.


You made the cross the tree of life,
- give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.


On the cross you forgave the repentant thief,
- forgive us our sins.


Closing Prayer

Lord,
I know how much you love me.


It’s hard for me to feel it sometimes,
but I know your love is always with me.

Help me to use your love as a way
to persevere in my Lenten intentions.


I am weak, but I know with your help,
I can use these small sacrifices in my life to draw closer to you.