Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Fr Ambrose blessed with long life as he turns 100

HE survived bombing raids in World War II and a terrifying plane crash -- but Fr Ambrose O'Gorman celebrated turning 100 and "looking forward to a few more years yet".

The Co Donegal man was born a fortnight after the Titanic sank and says his most treasured memory of the last century was the summer's day in 1940 when he returned home to Ballyshannon after being ordained in England and the whole town had turned out to greet him.

"There was a huge crowd there to greet me, it was wonderful, and very moving," he recalled.

"There was even the brass band and everyone paraded through the town with me as the local priest Fr McGrorty drove me home. I still find it hard to believe that so many people turned out."

Fr Ambrose had made it into the priesthood then aged 28, but only after quitting the first time around. "I wasn't what the priests there at the time wanted," he said.

"But Father McGrorty wasn't giving up and thanks to him I was accepted by the Salvatorian Fathers and I went to the Place of Foundation in Abbots Langley, about 25 miles from London. I was more settled this time and I had turned 20 and knew this is what I wanted."

Memories

Fr Ambrose was born in Kilmacrennan on this day in 1912, one of seven children. His father, Michael, from Tubbercurry in Co Sligo, was in the RIC and lost his job when Partition was announced.

His four brothers and two sisters were friends with one Hazel Blair, who lived next door, mother of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Two years ago he wrote a letter to Mr Blair about his memories of his mother, and Mr Blair responded with a letter of thanks.

After his ordination, he returned to Essex and served in several parishes during the Blitz and became an assistant chaplain to the RAF.

It was a terrifying time, he said, once cowering under a chair during a German bombing raid.

"We had a shelter in the house and I once hid under a chair with my beads and saying the Rosary. I worried a lot then. We hardly discussed it among the priests but I do remember saying I was never going to learn German."

On January 7, 1960, Fr Ambrose had a miraculous escape when he and 58 passengers and crew were aboard a British European Airways flight from Dublin which crashed in dense fog at London's Heathrow Airport.

"I remember a loud bang and just before the crash nudging the man beside me. I asked him what was wrong but he was a dreadful colour, so I didn't ask any more questions. The plane burst into flames, but we all managed to get safely off."

In later years he ministered to the Irish in London, becoming President of the Donegal Association in the city.

He retired to Ballyshannon before moving into the Shannagh Nursing Home in Belleek five years ago.

Today celebrates turning 100, with a birthday card from President Michael D Higgins.

"I'm looking forward to it," said Fr Ambrose. "I'm looking forward to a few more years yet."