Monday, June 11, 2012

“There have always been threats to the Church...“

Savio Hon Tai Fai (© Ucanews.com)
Chinese Archbishop Savio Hon Tai Fai, Salesian, has served as secretary of the Congregation of Propaganda Fide since February 2011. He also keeps close track of the delicate relations between the Vatican and China. 

On his way out of the Cathedral of Milan, where he attended the meeting of Pope Benedict XVI with religious, he agreed to discuss the Vatileaks case, and his view of the future of relations with the government in Beijing.

What do you think of the leak of confidential documents? Are you surprised that someone so close to the Pope has been arrested?
 
“Yes, I was surprised. Once again, human frailties emerge…”

How do you judge the motives of the instigators?
 
“I can’t know what they were thinking, but there are rules that they promised to observe, and these rules were not observed.”

Are there outside forces that threaten the Church, in your opinion?
 
“Of course, there have been from the beginning. It was always this way, so it does not surprise me that there may be some now.”

Could China have some interest in threatening The Holy See at this time?
 
“I really do not know if they have the time to do so, they have so many problems. But I do not think that they are interested - the Vatican is basically a small state ...”

How do you explain what has been going on in recent weeks?
 
“Human frailty, human weakness. When someone has committed to working within an organization, whatever it is, he knows that he must comply with codes of ethics, follow the rules. He needs to be faithful.”

Do you think Vatileaks are a plot from within or outside the Vatican?
 
“I'm not a police officer, so I can't say. I will not try to enter into the minds of the instigators who claim to do what they do for the good of the Church. I only know that they have not lived up to the vow of faithfulness that they professed.”

How are you finding the Roman Curia? 
 
“I have been working in the Curia for sixteen months, and I am learning many things. I come from a very different culture, with different operating principles. I have learned two important things: that the Church exists for the mission, and that fidelity to the Lord is the most important thing.”

In recent months, have you seen more instigators or peacemakers?
 
“I have mostly seen my colleagues, some of them very gifted, others who may have some weaknesses, but within my limited sphere I see many good examples, who unfortunately are not the ones journalists choose to focus on.”

How do you perceive the situation on the Chinese front?

“The last election, for the coadjutor bishop of Shanghai, had a positive outcome. We must understand that China has a long history - control over religion didn't just start yesterday. Sometimes we cannot properly evaluate a rocky relationship - the situation is very complex.”

How do you see the future of relations between the Church and the government?
 
“There are two very meaningful signs for me: the Chinese government is continuing its attempts to maintain harmony in Chinese society, giving importance to peace. Then I have to say that the quality of Party members is improving. And this change favours dialogue.”