Sunday, July 22, 2012

Brazil: Psychologist forbidden to call herself Christian

Psychology and religious freedomCrazy is the only word that can aptly describe the incident.

A woman in Brazil added the description “Christian psychologist” to her blog and Twitter profile. 

This did not go down well in her country’s Federal Council of Psychology (CFP) and as a result, according to a report by the Christian Post Maria Lobo, an Evangelical Christian, risks having her licence to practice the profession revoked. 

This is because according to the association’s ethical code, Mrs. Lobo could “influence patients” by stating her faith. 

Apparently the CFP was particularly critical of Lobo’s work in the field of sexual orientation therapies.
 
But Mrs. Lobo is having none of it. 

In a letter the CFP, she called the association’s code “unconstitutional” and wrote: "I declare to this council of psychology, that I am not going to comply with this decision. I am not going to remove from my blog, and/or my twitter, nor from my site, absolutely anything that links me to psychology and to my faith. To the contrary, I want my patients to have the right to choose me as a therapist because they know that I, Marisa Lobo, am a psychologist, a professional who believes in almighty God.” 

 This brings to mind Italian philosopher Benedetto Croce’s essay on “Why we cannot help calling ourselves 'Christian'”. 

Better not let Maria Lobo know about this though.